(CNN) — Roger Federer has suffered his quickest defeat in 16 years after crashing out of the Cincinnati Masters Thursday.
Even the 20-time grand slam winner was roundly beaten 6-3 6-4 by Russian qualifier Andrey Rublev in only 62 minutes.
Federer, who had won this event seven days before, was confronting his 21-year-old opponent for the first time along with also the Swiss star said he had been impressed with the strength of the Russian’s match.
“He was super clean. Defense, offense, serving well,” Federer said of his opponent after the match.
“did not give me anything. He was. It was hard for me personally, but an fantastic match .”
READ: Nick Kyrgios smashes two rackets and curses in umpire in Cincinnati conquer
READ: Serena Williams pulls from Cincinnati Masters with back injury
Federer eyes US Open
Regardless of the loss, Federer said he was happy to have come through the Cincinnati Masters injury free and has turned his focus to the US Open later this season.
The world No. 3 is looking to clinch his sixth title at Flushing Meadows, his first since 2008.
“I worked very hard coming into Cincinnati and in that little season we’d since Wimbledon, so I could maybe also utilize a couple of days off,” that the 38-year-old added.
“I will instruct, do precisely what I need to do for the US Open and that’s it. It is rather simple, but I’ve got to work hard.”
READ: Cori’Coco’ Gauff, 15, given wild card to perform at US Open
‘Most psychological win’
Meanwhile, Rublev will be looking to build on an astonishing breakthrough year that has seen him beat two top-five players — the other being world No. 4 Dominic Thiem.
The world. No 70 was clearly psychological after beating Federer and will now look forward to your quarterfinal match up with fellow Russian Daniil Medvedev.
“It’s the biggest and most emotional win,” explained Rublev, before turning his attention to praising Federer.
“I can not imagine daily just how much pressure you’ve got. I mean, to understand that you are Roger and everybody is watching you and you will need to prove it each day, and he’s doing this, I don’t know for how many years. I meanthis is something, I do not understand, unreal.”
READ: Andy Murray loses first singles match since hip operation
Murray out of US Open
Meanwhile, he three-time grand slam champion Andy Murray confirmed he will not be taking part at this year’s US Open in the doubles because he continues his return from hip operation.
The 32-year-old had ruled himself out of playing the singles in Flushing Meadows but has confirmed he will miss the contest entirely.
“I’m not going to play doubles at the US Open. My goal is to get back playing at the level that I need to on the singles court, and I have decided that I need to focus all my energies on that right now,” Murray told BBC Sport.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *